Sunday, October 30, 2016

Castro Theater's November 2016 Calendar

The November 2016 calendar at the Castro Theater has some appealing entries.

November 1 - The Birth of a Nation is Nate Parker's directorial debut and feature him in the lead role as Nat Turner (of the slave rebellion fame).  The film has mixed reviews and was a box office disappointment.  Despite its title and similar historical setting, the film is not a remake of D.W. Griffith's epic.

November 3 - Bright Lights: Starring Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds is the opening night film of the San Francisco Film Society's DocStories program.  I already have my ticket.

November 18 - Donnie Darko and Prisoners form a Jake Gyllenhaal double feature.  It's been a few years since I last watched Donnie Darko.  The synopsis states the "Original cut" will be screened which I interpret to mean the version with the Echo and the Bunnymen score which is my preferred version.

November 20 - Mississippi Mermaid and Rear Window is a pairing of the renowned mutual admirers Alfred Hitchcock and François Truffaut.  Mississipi is spelled with only one "p" in the French title and stars two icons of French cinema: Jean-Paul Belmondo and Catherine Deneuve.

November 23 - The Ice Storm is an early (1997) English language Ang Lee film with a eye-popping cast:  Kevin Kline, Joan Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Tobey Maguire, Christina Ricci & Elijah Wood.

Among the non-Castro Theater screenings which I have put on my November calendar are:

November 3 to 7 - The French Had a Name For It 3 at the Roxie.

November 10 to 13 - Third I San Francisco International South Asian Film Festival with screenings at the Castro Theater and the New People World Cinema.  There is a one-day South Bay session on November 19 at Bluelight Cinemas in Cupertino.

November 19 - 2016 Sacramento Mini French Film Festival at the Crest Theater.

October 27 to November 20 - 2016 Silicon Valley Jewish Film Festival at various venues.  The two films which appeal most to me are Rabin, The Last Day (November 19) and Sabena Hijacking: My Version (November 17).

October 27 to November 9 - 2016 Another Hole in the Head Film Festival at New People World Cinema.  Horror films don't appeal much to me anymore but I feel like I should support the IndieFest team by attending a few screenings.

November 23 - Blind Woman's Curse at the Roxie as part of their Nippon Nights series.  BWC is a 1970 tale of revenge starring Meiko Kaji (Lady Snowblood and Female Convict Scorpion series) as a female Yakuza.

§§§

Castro Theater Calendar - November 2016

No comments: